I used to do green eco new build and refurbishments. This section is here because I have a green eco building book getting a reprint soon. It came out in 2007 and was eventually converted into the large website Building & DIY which has a lot of information, if interested.
I was a founder member of the Sustainable Development Commission, a UK Government advisory body. This didn’t last very long, ie, was not very sustainable!
The Green Eco Building Book – an ebook – this was the source for the above website. An extract below:
- Project aims
- Finance and insurance
- Project methodology
- Project planning
- Site identification & purchase
- Legal and statutory requirements
- Planning application to local Council (at appropriate point; with preliminary meetings before formal application)
- Scope of project based on type of site, legals, budget etc.
- Project management and scheduling
- Design of building for site
- Specification of building
This stage would be followed by details of specifications and quantity surveyor’s report, engineers’ reports, site reports, costing etc. Finance is not in this summary, see other sections of the Building DIY website.
Building Stage One
Groundworks and base
- Site clearance
- Site leveling
- Ground floor base
- Services connections
Building Stage Two
- Timber framed building erection
- Recycled materials where possible
- Water systems – grey water; water storage
- Green roof
- Solar panels – photo voltaic (PV)
Building Stage Three
- Kitchens & bathrooms
- Eco finishes e.g. low or zero VOC paint; sustainable cladding and timber etc.
Marketing & sale
Maintenance (12 months)